The Glory Field follows the lives of The Lewis Family of South Carolina through the generations beginning with Muhummad Bilal in the time of slavery(1753) and ending with Malcolm Lewis in 1994.

intro

This blog is being created by Division 2 at Bayview Community School.

Scroll down to read many interesting facts in all the posts on Slavery, South Carolina, Jim Crow Laws, The Civil Rights Movement, Reverend Martin Luther King and The Glory Field. Keep on checking this blog for new updates on the The Glory Field and social developments following the time line of The Glory Field.

At the bottom of this blog read a summary of the novel, The Glory Field.

Don't forget to check out the students' links and read their blog scrapbooks. They contain many thoughts and feelings about the novel and virtual artifacts from the different times and places, and social events based on The Glory Field.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Honey Girl's opinion about Jim Crow Law..

spent my childhood life growing up in the "projects." When I was around 12 years old I took my first job away from home. The job was "helper" for a driver on a soft drink bottling company truck route. Of course, all delivery route drivers were white. The route consisted of delivering bottled drinks to "country stores" in rural North Carolina. My job was to collect the empty glass bottles, put them in the wooden crates, sort them by product, and put them on the truck. The driver would deliver the fresh product and perform the traditional hospitality conversations with the local storeowners.
One day the truck pulled up to a small store somewhere in a rural community and I heard this frightening barrage of barking, obviously from at least two large dogs. The barking came directly from the rear area where the "empties" were stored. I looked at the driver in heart wrenching fear and asked, "What's that?" He proceeded to deliver to me what he probably thought was a completely obligatory lesson. "Those are Nigger Dogs. Now you be careful not ta git too close to 'em, ya hear!" I sat still and confused in the passenger seat, almost unable to move from fear. He then looked me straight in the eye and asked, "You're a nigger, ain't cha?" Being only 12 years old and probably over 50 miles from anywhere recognizable in the countryside, I responded the only way I could, "Yes sir. I guess I am." And that was one of my first practical lessons in the subtleties of Jim Crow and rural Southern culture.




I thnk Jim Crow Law is too bad, and so poor. Because 12 years old is really young. And all ther people is white, so I thnk he have so many hurts when he is that years old.


http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/remembering/children.html#23

No comments: