The Glory Field follows the lives of The Lewis Family of South Carolina through the generations beginning with Muhummad Bilal in the time of slavery(1753) and ending with Malcolm Lewis in 1994.

intro

This blog is being created by Division 2 at Bayview Community School.

Scroll down to read many interesting facts in all the posts on Slavery, South Carolina, Jim Crow Laws, The Civil Rights Movement, Reverend Martin Luther King and The Glory Field. Keep on checking this blog for new updates on the The Glory Field and social developments following the time line of The Glory Field.

At the bottom of this blog read a summary of the novel, The Glory Field.

Don't forget to check out the students' links and read their blog scrapbooks. They contain many thoughts and feelings about the novel and virtual artifacts from the different times and places, and social events based on The Glory Field.

Friday, February 22, 2008

My opinion about a Jim Crow Law Story. -Mr. Cuddles owner

I Never got Arrested —I got Dirty Looks

I grew up in New York City. Relatives in Miami Beach, Florida had a daughter my age and the families got us together. When we were about ten, she came to New York to visit then I went to Miami during school holiday. We were in a Woolworth's and I went to take a drink of water at the fountain. My friend was horrified and stopped me because there was a sign that said "colored." She said I had to drink out of the other fountain, that read, "white." I remember being horrified, angry and totally outraged. I couldn't understand why there was a difference. I remember telling her I was going to drink out of it anyway and she started crying, that we would be arrested for drinking out of the "colored" fountain. That scared me (I was only 10 or 11) and I didn't do it. But I remember asking her parents about it (although I don't remember what they said) and then telling mine when I got home, and I swore I'd never do that again. And I didn't. Each time I traveled to the South I would make a point of drinking from the "colored" fountain. I never got arrested although I did get dirty looks, which made me feel proud.

Liz Schick
Richmond, VT

-x-

I was REALLY shocked when I found out that blacks and whites had to drink out of a differnt water fountain. When I found out, I was SO mad. I don't have alot to say on this story but it really said something to me, that one person could make a huge difference if they tried hard enough. But they were too worried they might get beaten up for what they believe in. Even mixing up eggs makes a difference. Plus I think back then, drinking out of a colored water fountain when you were white was a brave thing to do. "I remember telling her I was going to drink out of it anyway"(http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/remembering/read.html)
Now I'm glad that racist isn't as stronger anymore. =D

No comments: